So tonight was my last night with the middle school girls' Bible study. I have been involved with the junior high group for a little over two years and it's been a joy. At first it was just something I did for community service but I still liked it. It wasn't until this summer when I began to realize that my nonchalant attitude needed to change: God put me here with these girls for a reason, and he wants me to put my best into it. I've come to look forward to our Friday night studies rather than thinking of them as just another 2-hour weekly church function. I've developed real relationships with the girls and I will sincerely miss them in college. The time I spent with the girls tonight— going out for Super Taqueria, having fellowship, reading the Word, and making brownies together— was more fulfilling than many of the social events I've gone to where the conversation is shallow and the relationships fake.
On Wednesday, which was my last Code Red (the middle school youth group), the youth pastor opened up the time for the kids to pray for each other. Several girls prayed for me and thanked God for putting me in their lives. It was one of the most meaningful moments I've ever experienced— knowing I had made a difference in their lives. I felt like I had done something that mattered, something that would last beyond my time on earth. I say this not to brag, but to emphasize that doing something for the kingdom of God far surpasses anything I've accomplished in school, swimming, or anything else.
I spend so much time and energy doing things that won't even matter in a few years. Why do I so often forget about the only Kingdom that will last?
No comments:
Post a Comment