Following Jesus, being human. "Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth."
Friday, September 17, 2010
It's Cathartic
With college starting in four days, I've been clearing out everything: my room, my wallet, the car I use, Facebook (of friends I don't really know), this blog of stupid posts. The cleaning of my bedroom especially has got me thinking about the big questions. Why do I have so much stuff? What should I do with it: toss it or give it away? But if I give it away with a self-righteous attitude, does that invalidate the act? Is it better for a poor person not to have it if my heart is proud? How much money was spent on this stuff I never use/wear? What's the point of stuff anyway? Why was I so convinced it would bring me happiness? What is happiness? Why do I have so much while others have so little? Would they lead fuller lives if half the money that's been used on my stuff was given to them? What brings true fulfillment? Why does money have to exist at all? I've accumulated all this stuff but have I done anything worthwhile in 18 years of living? Is a monastic life more pleasing to God? Why am I here— in the South Valley, at this church, now in college? Should I be abstaining from all bodily pleasure entirely? Should the joy of the Lord be my strength or should I be more like the Man of sorrows by sharing in the "fellowship of his sufferings, being conformed to his death" (Philippians 3:10)? Will I be able to give an acceptable account at the judgment seat of Christ of what I've done with my abilities and resources? Is doing a few nice things for people and putting up with the difficult ones really the abundant life that Jesus intended for me?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh, Estelle. I love you and miss you so much! I could imagine your voice as I read this :)
ReplyDelete