Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Why the Tree?

Why the choice of an apple tree? The tree itself is a symbol found throughout literature, most notably the Bible: the tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil in Genesis bears the forbidden fruit that separates man from God, and the cross, fashioned from a tree, upon which Jesus was crucified ultimately reconciles mankind back to God. So the tree becomes an archetype, representing a bridge to knowledge, to truth, to freedom, to agape. I see my blogging in a similar fashion- bridging the chasm between my thoughts, as mundane or profound as they may be, and reality.

Furthermore, the tree is not an oak tree, not a willow tree, but an apple tree. Yes, there is some Freudian symbolism there, but ultimately what I intend to evoke is a sense of delight, beauty, and fertility produced by the tree. Apples are not only lovely to look at and touch, but they are delicious and nourishing. I hope that my posts do the same: that they both entertain and challenge the mind.