Sunday, February 14, 2010

Manhood

I promise it will be profound
Cliches you've never heard,
A poem, with meaning, rhymes, and sound
You'll weep— a loss for words.

Ne'er mind you read Milton or Donne,
Forget I'm but a boy,
My youthful foolishness is gone
'Tis crime to be so coy.

Brown eyes, fair breasts, full— Oh! Your heart
Stirs me to sing you praise.
I'd naught but brood if us fate parts
I'll have you all my days.

Read now my plea; think not of him,
Forgive my lack of form,
Compare, if you must; poor John grows dim
Since I can make you warm.

3 comments:

  1. okay now i remember reading this and thinking... brown hair. estelle has brown hair...
    the "john" in the last quatrain confused me for a minute until i realized both milton and donne are name john. silly me. i thought at first you meant john as in just some average guy, but i couldn't think of another guy you would be referencing, because i couldn't remember (based on the circumstances) another guy. unless there is someone i'm not thinking of and you cleverly picked milton and donne so you could use "john"
    you are a marvelous poet. i think this is one of the best things you've ever written!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just wrote a confessional comment. sorry. i'm just like the ap essay writer mr. schwager was making fun of who talked about how the depiction of characters made her "feel."
    perhaps confessional writing is a bit more excusable in a blog though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.boundless.org/2005/articles/a0002237.cfm
    this is very unrelated to your poem, but i wanted to share it with you. good solid article.

    ReplyDelete