Following Jesus, being human. "Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth."
Friday, October 22, 2010
Happy Day
So last night I was in the basement of the library doing research on my paper on Messianic Judaism, and I came across this great sermon by John Piper on how Jesus reconciles Jews and Gentiles to each other and also to God through Himself. I was so in awe of God in His infinite wisdom and power and omniscience and my inability to fully understand him. I literally wanted to stand up and shout, in the silence of the library at 10 p.m. the week of midterms, and tell people about this incredible God that loves them and invites them into communion with Him. I look around and see boyfriend/girlfriend couples giggling over clean cut MacBook Pros and sipping their nonfat mochas. I hear the person next to me ask his friend what time he plans to go out and get crunk. I was so confused. How could these people possibly be satisfied with such empty, temporal lives? I mean, I guess I kind of get the dating thing. In the words of C.S. Lewis, being in love is a good thing, but not the best thing. But when you're dating someone, you can eventually understand most of him or her, right? Or at least, you have the ability to fully know at the minimum the facts of their life. And they could tell you their life stories. Not so with God. That's what makes being single so great. There's no creation to mistakenly worship instead of the Creator.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Facebook has spoiled me.
ReplyDeleteI instinctively reached for the 'like' button.
I'm ashamed, I tried to staple an impersonal display of approval onto this and it deserves more.
Although I believe that one can find the glory of God in the face of a woman, I can see your point.
I suppose(after reading your post on Christian cults) that one who grows up in a heavily church-centric environment see many aspects of the glory of God as overly familiar- dulled by the hard work of thousands of Sunday school seminars. I suppose you could call it religiousedated.
But one who comes from a different religious background or a different 'religious cult' that generally emphasizes some other aspect would find the new awe inspiring, provided it was good.