Sunday, April 4, 2010

Man in Uniform

So this week, there was a cop at my house interviewing my mom about a recent robbery in our neighborhood. I walked by; the cop was young and very good looking, so I smiled at him. He noticed me but did not smile back. This is a response to that experience.

The moment that my eyes met yours
I smiled sweetly, hoping for more.
But when you looked away in pride,
The flirty, giggly id just died.
I felt my heart shatter like glass!
I looked my best; my looks you passed!
Rejection— that was foreign before.
I check the mirror— something I wore?
A jerk, an inconsiderate brute!
A novice cop: bet he can't shoot.
To think himself too good– But wait!
It's shallowness I claim to hate.
Unlike weak men, you were not fazed
When into your blue eyes I gazed.
A lovely face fails to reveal
What eyeliner and blush conceal.
You wait for beauty of the heart
Of which mere looks play little part.
Next time a man's approval I seek,
An upturned nose, to me, is not bleak.

1 comment:

  1. I really like this one!! for some reason my favorite line is "I looked my best; my looks you passed!" It just flows nicely :)

    ReplyDelete