Typical as it sounds, my car is a symbol for freedom. The first time I drove alone, I raced down the back roads my parents limited me to at ludicrous speeds. However, the tragic hero's flaws eventually caught up with her: she got in a fender bender a mere 2 weeks after receiving the wondrous license. Nevertheless, she was able to maintain some freedom after repaying the difference in insurance rates over the next couple years by rebuilding the deck—she became a dynamic character as she learned that ideas, and actions, have consequences. However, to this day she drives only relatively short distances and dreams of the day when absolute (or at least greater) freedom is found, when her parents allow her to travel the Road of Knowledge of Good and Evil (known to some as Hecker Pass). Whereas her car stands for freedom, Hecker stands for absolute independence. Maybe that day will be tomorrow; maybe later. But until redemption comes, Valjean remains enslaved, 19 years and counting in the chain gang.
My former swim coach and my current one are also character foils. Mark ruled with an iron fist; Tom's workouts are near anarchy. Mark demands 90% attendance or higher and administers punishment for anything less; Tom is pleased by my appearance at practice a few times a week and punishments are seen as child abuse. Mark makes his thoughts and moods unmistakably evident; stoic Tom will only drop a hint about what he wants. Mark's arrival on the team led to the quitting of over half the senior group and by the time I left the team, there was but one other high schooler; Tom's group contains almost a dozen teenagers that are more than okay with his lack of standards. Mark publicly humiliates parents that attempt to comment on his crude impersonations of their children; Tom will kiss the ground the swimmers drip on in order to please any concerned parents. Mark regularly (and emotionally, I might add) attacks feeling and the emphasis culture puts on it; when I have a bad day, Tom asks me if I'm feeling okay (one of three deadly sins men do that I can't stand: ask me how I feel, touch me, or comment on my appearance). Mark told me I was the worst swimmer he ever coached; after swimming a single season on Gilroy, Tom awarded me with Most Dedicated, Best Attendance, Most Valuable, and the greatly desired Gator Award. (Side note: when I first started swimming for Tom, of course I was in heaven because of the lack of standards, whining, mocking, spitting, push-ups, unbrushed teeth, etc. But now I realize that I need someone yelling at me or I won't try. There's another character flaw— lack of intrinsic motivation.)
All that to say that while using Spark-Note style analysis may not necessarily solve any problems, at least my awareness of them increases. Now to Sylvia Plath to find out the meaning of life before I become a legal adult.
You haven't posted something that isn't a poem for a while. I like this. And I love how you are adamant that your blog will not be confessional (I feel the same way about mine). And I'm sure Sylvia Plath will tell you everything you need to about the meaning of life. I plan on relying on e. e. cummings' wisdom... :)
ReplyDelete